GOBEL’s Research Team keeps track of all publicly announced healthcare gifts of $10M+. Below find a list of principal/transformational gifts that were announced in December 2023.
Did we miss a principal/transformational healthcare gift at your organization, or somewhere else? Send the information to firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll add it to our tracker!
$10M+ healthcare gifts in December 2023:
- Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center announced a $400M gift from Kenneth C. Griffin and David Geffen to extend MSK’s care and research new cancer treatments.
- The University of Copenhagen received a commitment of DKK1.8B ($260M USD) to support vaccine research and development from the Novo Nordisk Foundation.
- The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation granted $55M to IAVI and Zendal to support the trial of a tuberculosis vaccine.
- Northwestern Medicine celebrated a $51M gift from The St. George Corporation supporting the Northwestern Medicine St. George Cancer Institute.
- Xavier University received a $50M gift from an anonymous donor supporting the launch of the College of Osteopathic Medicine, expected to welcome its first class in 2027.
- The Azrieli Foundation invested $50M CAD to create a partnership between CHU Sainte-Justine and the Hospital for Sick Children to establish a discovery and research pipeline for pediatric medical care.
- The University of California San Diego received a $25M gift from the McGrath Family Foundation to establish the McGrath Family Foundation Outpatient Pavilion, scheduled to open in 2025.
- Sarasota Memorial Health Care System received a $25M gift from the Gerald A. and Karen A. Kolschowsky Foundation to support transformational research and faculty recruitment.
- The University of Kentucky received a donation of $22M from Michael Rankin supporting the new Michael D. Rankin M.D. Health Education Building.
- The University of Chicago Medicine received a $20M gift from Susan and Tandean Rustandy to support the development of a cancer care and research facility.
- Katy Van Norton Poche and Gregory Poche made a $20M AUS gift to Royal North Shore Hospital and North Shore Private Hospital to establish a cancer clinical trials, research, and development center in partnership with Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center.
- Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis celebrated a $15M gift from Jeffrey T. Fort aimed at accelerating research and developing new treatments for diseases that cause vision loss
- Chicago Scots received a $14M gift from The Negaunee Foundation to support a program to meet the unmet needs of Chicago’s senior population.
- Oregon Health & Science University received a $13M estate gift from George and Helene Ettelson to support cancer and dermatology research.
- Howard University College of Medicine announced a $12M unsolicited and unrestricted gift from Mackenzie Scott via Yield Giving.
- The University of Cape Town’s Neuroscience Institute received R200M ($10.9M USD) from the Donald Gordon Foundation to accelerate innovative neuroscience studies in Africa on a global scale.
- The Medical University of South Carolina College of Health Professionals received a $10M gift from Tina and Ricky Doscher to support the construction of a new educational and research facility.
- The Children’s Hospital Los Angeles celebrated a $10M donation from the Chuck Lorre Family Foundation to support research education for underrepresented high school and college students.
- The University of Mississippi Medical Center received a $10M gift from Jean Reed Adams, kicking off a fundraising campaign supporting The Fred R. Adams Jr. Memory Impairment and Neurodegenerative Dementia Center and Geriatric Clinic.
- University of Tennessee Medical Center received a $10M donation from the Haslam family to support an expansion of the emergency department.
- The Mayo Clinic donated $10M to Rochester Public Schools to help the system implement their strategic plan for “academic transformation.”
- Royal Victoria Regional Health Centre received a $10M CAD donation from Catherine and David Hudson to support the expansion of the cancer centre, naming it the David and Catherine Hudson Regional Cancer Centre.
- Weill Cornell Medicine received a transformational gift from Israel Englander expand the Englander Institute for Precision Medicine and bolster institutional biobanking services.
- Tampa General Hospital received a significant donation from Pam and Les Muma which names the Muma Children’s Hospital at TGH.
- Ochsner Health announced a transformational gift from Gayle and Tom Benson Charitable Foundation to create The Gayle and Tom Benson Ochsner Children’s Hospital.