GOBEL’s Research Team keeps track of all publicly announced healthcare gifts of $10M+. Below find a list of principal/transformational gifts that were announced in January 2024.
Did we miss a principal/transformational healthcare gift at your organization, or somewhere else? Send the information to firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll add it to our tracker!
$10M+ healthcare gifts in January 2024:
- Bloomberg Philanthropies committed $250M to invest in 10 cities to prepare high school students to begin health care jobs as soon as they graduate.
- Rice University received $65M from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, the Children’s Investment Fund Foundation, The ELMA Foundation, and other donors supporting the Newborn Essential Solutions and Technologies project to reduce newborn mortality in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Cornell University received a $35M gift from alumna Lisa Yang which will endow and name the Cornell K. Lisa Yang Center for Wildlife Health to address key challenges at the intersection of wildlife health, domestic animal health, human health and livelihoods, and the environment that supports all life on Earth.
- The Combating Antibiotic-Resistant Bacteria Biopharmaceutical Accelerator (CARB-X) announced it received a $25M, 3-year grant from the Novo Nordisk Foundation to support early-stage development of products to treat, prevent, and diagnose antibiotic-resistant infections.
- School-Based Health Alliance, a nonprofit which provides health care services in schools that serve students from low-income families, received a total investment of $23M from MacKenzie Scott and Pivotal Ventures, to invest initiatives in Houston, Atlanta, Chicago and Miami.
- The Huntsman Institute at the University of Utah received a $20M land donation from the Woodbury Corporation and Flagship Companies. The new 20-acre parcel will be the future site of a campus for patients and their families.
- Fred Hutch Cancer Center celebrated the launch of their comprehensive campaign with a $15M donation from Carl and Renée Behnke. The Behnke Family House, a short-term housing solution for patients, will be named in their honor.
- Catharines Hospital will now be known as Marotta Family Hospital following a $15M CAD donation to Niagara Health from the Marotta family.
- The World Health Organization celebrated a $14M investment from Rotary International to support polio eradication in Nigeria.
- The George Washington University’s Milken Institute School of Public Health received a $12M gift from Michael and Lori Milken to establish two endowed professorships.
- Emory University celebrated a $10M grant from the James M. Cox Foundation. Over four years, the funds will be invested in the Charlie and Harriet Shaffer Cognitive Empowerment Program, an initiative of the Goizueta Institute at Emory Brain Health.
- The Bill and Juila Van Domelen Foundation donated $10M to the David Lawerence Centers for Behavioral Health. The gift kicks off the center’s campaign to support mental health in Collier County, FL.
- Trillium Health Partners received a $10M CAD gift from Brent and Jodie Cator to increase the hospital’s diagnostic imaging program by 66 percent.